Microsoft Outlook 2016 automatically creates Offline Storage Table or OST when you configured to Exchange Server. This type of Outlook data files (.ost) can be accessed only with the account that created it. Once you have updated your Outlook profile or disconnected from Exchange Server, the OST files get orphaned which cannot be open or import directly into Outlook 2016. This is because there is no built-in option for importing OST file; hence it has to be done manually.
Steps to open/import OST file in new Outlook 2016 profile?
- Exit Outlook 2016 and make sure that it is not running
- Go to Start menu and select My Computer
- Navigate to location of your OST file depending on the Windows versions
- In the Outlook directory folder, search the file named ost then drag and drop it to your desktop
- Copy the old OST file that has to be imported into this Outlook directory folder and renamed it to ost
Thus with the above-mentioned steps, you can easily import your old OST file to your Outlook 2016 account. Even though the manual procedure is simple and easy but extra care needs to be taken because a single mistake could corrupt your OST. In order to fix such corrupted or damaged OST file, you need to perform OST Mailbox to PST conversion using some advanced third party tool like Convert OST to PST. Here are the steps to convert OST file to PST.
- Download the Convert OST to PST software for your Windows
- Launch and run the utility
- Input corrupt OST file by clicking Browse icon
- Select the desired destination location to save the converted file and hit on Convert button
- After completion of conversion process, click Finish